Thursday, October 11, 2012

Interview with Derrolyn Anderson, author of The Athena Effect


Today I have an interview with Derrolyn Anderson, author of The Athena Effect. Read below to find out more about her and the book.


Tell us a little about yourself and the book(s) you've written...


I’m the mother of three brilliant girls, two of whom are twins. I’ve been married to my best friend 24 years and going strong, and work alongside him at the small cat collar business we started over twenty years ago.

In addition to “The Athena Effect” I wrote the four book “Marina’s Tales” series. I’m currently working on the sequel to “The Athena Effect”, entitled “The Mackenzie Legacy”. I expect to have it finished by the beginning of 2013.

Why do you write? What got you going?

I started looking at what my daughters were reading, from “Harry Potter” to “Twilight”, and fell in love with the whole YA genre. (I swear those books must have launched a thousand writers.)

For the first ten years of my marriage, we lived in the lovely seaside town of Aptos. I spent many foggy mornings walking down secret overgrown stairs to a pier that led out to a scuttled cement tanker. The setting just screamed mermaid, and when I wrote my first paranormal romance, I unknowingly stumbled into a burgeoning YA trend.

What is your favourite thing about writing?

I live for the sudden bursts of inspiration that strike at the damnedest times. I often find myself running out of the shower and scrambling for a notepad, naked and dripping wet.

How do you relax after a long day of writing?

I write to relax after a long hard day of working!

Do you outline your stories before you begin writing? How do you determine where to start?


I always start a book with the beginning and the ending pretty well worked out in my mind. The middle of the book is where the hard work lies, and however long it takes to get from point A to point B determines how long the book needs to be.

If you had to choose a colour to describe your book, which one would you pick? Why?

It’s ironic that you should ask that, because in “The Athena Effect”, my main character has the ability to see colorful auras. Given Caledonia’s talents, I’d have to say this book is a rainbow!

What was life like for you when YOU were a teen?

Unhappy. I was a rebellious punk that partied all the time, put my parents through hell, dropped out of school and ran off with an inappropriate older boyfriend. It’s a miracle I’m still alive, and I’m living proof that it’s never too late to change the path you’re on.

Do you have pets? Can you tell us a little about them?

I love all kinds of animals, but after going through the painful loss of our family’s beloved boxer, I don’t think we’ll have another dog anytime soon. Right now we are owned by a pair of silly tuxedo cats and three chickens, one of whom is an escape artist. She’s the Houdini of hens. I also have a small pond full of rescued carnival goldfish, including four gigantic koi that are always hungry and will latch onto your fingers with their big toothless mouths. It feels freaky!

Do you have any fun hobbies other than reading and writing? What are they?


I like to paint, sculpt, bead, and garden. One year I grew over thirty different varieties of heirloom tomatoes.

If you could have a pet that was a mythical creature, which creature would you choose?

Pegasus. Just imagine the possibilities…

What is the most fun you’ve ever had?

This year? I spent a week by a hidden Hawaiian cove teeming with massive sea turtles. I swam with the gentle giants every morning and evening when they were the most active. It was a truly magical experience.

What advice would you give your teen readers about life?

Always remember this: The only constant in life is change. No matter how bad things seem, HANG IN THERE, because before too long, the circumstances will be completely different.
Conversely, when things are going well, take the time to savor your success and express gratitude for all of the little blessings that the universe sends your way.

Thank you!
Derrolyn

Thank you for sharing with us today, Derrolyn! Find out more about Derrolyn and The Athena Effect below:

About The Athena Effect:

Country girl Cal has been kept a secret her entire life, raised in isolation by two very troubled people. Despite her parent’s disturbing fits, Cal is perfectly content, living at one with the nature that surrounds her, and finding adventure inside the pages of her beloved books. When an awful tragedy tears her away from her remote cabin in the woods, nothing she’s ever read has prepared her for a world that she knows very little about.

Girls and motorcycles are what bad-boy Cal’s life is all about. Brought up in a raucous party house by his biker brother, he’s free to do as he pleases, going through the motions on his final days of high school. Aimless, Cal stopped thinking about his future a long time ago.

Attacked by a gang of thugs while running an errand for his brother, Cal is in serious trouble until a fierce girl appears out of nowhere to intervene. She chases off three grown men, sparing Cal a brutal beating before disappearing into the night like a spirit. He can’t stop thinking about his mysterious rescuer, and when she turns out to be the weird new girl at school who goes out of her way to avoid him, he can’t contain his curiosity.

He’s never met anyone like her before, and the more he learns about the unusual girl who shares his nickname, the more he wants to know. Cal can’t help falling for Cal, but can he keep her from falling victim to a dangerous enemy from her parent’s tragic past?

Find it on

The Athena Effect on Amazon

The Athena Effect on B & N

The Athena Effect on Smashwords

The Athena Effect on I-Tunes Books

Goodreads

About Derrolyn Anderson:

Derrolyn Anderson is a visual artist and writer of fiction. The creator of the four part "Marina's Tales" series and the YA romance, "The Athena Effect", she's currently hard at work on her next book, "The Mackenzie Legacy".

Find her on
www.derrolyn.com


No comments:

Post a Comment