Welcome to the blog Linda Kage, who recently published her YA novel The Color of Grace. Linda is here to share with us a guest post on what was fact and what was fiction within the novel.
The Facts and Fictions of
The Color of Grace by Linda Kage
People sometimes ask me if I get any of my ideas from real life. Well, my answer is yes and no. I pick and choose little details here and there until they're so distorted it's nearly impossible to tell what came out of my head and what I stole from real life experiences.
Well, guess no longer 'cause I'm about to tell all! Here is what was real and what was totally made up in my story, The Color of Grace!
The Facts –
1. Southeast High School is in fact the name of the high school I attended. There were halls commonly referred to as Senior Hall, Junior Hall, Sophomore Hall, and Freshmen Hall where most seniors and freshmen student lockers were located. Our colors and mascot were (and still are) the Light blue and white Lancers, however, not the purple and white dragons as they are in the story.
2. BUT...The high school my husband attended has the purple and white dragon colors and mascot. So, that’s where my Barney Wanna-Be came from!
3. Osage is the name of the church I attended when I was young.
4. One of my sisters is named Mrs. Alexander and she IS a high school secretary (at Southeast High School of all places!).
5. Another sister I have is named Mrs. Holderread, and yes, she is a teacher (but for grade school children not high school kids)
6. And yet another sister of mine is named Sandra (Sandra is the hero’s mother in the book). She is married to a Michael (like the Sandra in the book!).
7. Sheila is the name of a nurse who works in my OB-GYN's office exactly like the nurse in the story. She also happens to be my sister-in-law (she said I had to make her character nice in the story, but she's nice in real life, so that worked out fine!)
8. Alaina, Matthew, Cody, Adam, Shi Ann, Katie, and Daniel are all names of family members I have, though none of them share the same characteristics as they do in the story (except Adam did keep his hair grown over long because he wanted to cover his ears, but he doesn’t play the guitar, sorry! Oh! And Alaina has a heart-shaped face and freckles as she does in the story)
9. I did personally know of a stepfather who took liberties with a new stepdaughter of his. Two stepfathers, in fact.
--In one case, the guy was a brother to one of my older brother’s best friends (did you catch all that?!). Back when we were in high school, this guy asked me out (I said no, thank God). After the authorities started to investigate his case years later, he tried to kill himself by shutting himself in his car in a garage. It didn’t kill him but it did weaken him enough, he died of pneumonia less than a year later.
--The other case were neighbors who lived less than a mile from me. My sister’s kids would spend the night over there sometimes (yeah, scary).
The girls in real life were much younger than Grace is in the book, sadly, but their horrible tribulations did prompt the idea for this story.
10. Yates is the last name of my first editor. My hero's surname came in honor of her. Thank you, Susan Yates!
11. My sister Sandra and her small group of friends were called "the nerd herd" by our older brothers when they were in high school.
The Fictions –
And pretty much everything else in the story is totally made up!
1. There is no town named Osage or Hillsburg that I know of.
2. No teacher ever assigned a "What Color are you" paper for me to write.
3. I've never owned red and black gloves or a plaid logger’s jacket.
4. and I never personally had to transfer to a new school or gotten a new stepfather.
So, there you have it, the facts and fictions of The Color of Grace. Aren’t you glad you know now?!
Thank you, Linda! You can find more about Linda below, including a giveaway for a paperback copy of The Color of Grace.
The Color of Grace:
Who knew becoming lost in a new life could help a girl find her true colors?
When sixteen-year old Grace Indigo’s mother remarries after thirteen years of being a widow, Grace has to move to a new town and enroll in a new school. There, she finds herself thrust into a whole different life where she’s surrounded by a crowd totally opposite of her old nerd herd.
What’s worse, Ryder Yates, the boy who flirted with her and she turned down when they were attending separate schools, is a part of her new group. But he has a girlfriend, and Grace somehow ends up paired with his best friend. Yet after her relationship with her mother deteriorates and her old friends suddenly become incommunicado, Ryder is the only person she can rely on when her world goes haywire.
Buy it on Amazon or add it to your Goodreads list.
About Linda Kage:
Linda grew up on a dairy farm in the Midwest as the youngest of eight children. Now she lives in Kansas with her husband, toddler daughter, and their nine cuckoo clocks. She works a day job in the acquisitions department of a university library and feels her life has been blessed with lots of people to learn from and love. Writing's always been a major part of her world, and she's thrilled to finally share some of her stories with other romance lovers.
You can find Linda on the web at:
Website - http://www.lindakage.com/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/linda.kage
FB Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/authorlindakage
Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/lindakage
Blog - http://lindakage.blogspot.com/
Google + - https://plus.google.com/117163270588306204279/posts
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/lindakage
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/linda-kage/32/150/866
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003ILJHKM
GoodReads - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3213942.Linda_Kage
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/lindakage/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/LindaKage
Find MORE blog tour posts today on:
Book Labyrinth @ http://booklabyrinth.blogspot.com/
& Hott Books @ http://hottbooks.com/
Linda Kage is also giving away a paperback copy of the book to US/Canada mailing addresses, right here on One A Day Y.A. To enter the giveaway fill out the rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Good luck, everyone!