Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book in Review: Catching Jordan (Catching Jordan #1) by Miranda Kenneally

Cover:





Publisher:

Sourcebooks Fire

Summary:

"Whoever said football and girls don't mix hasn't read Catching Jordan. I couldn't put it down " -- Simone Elkeles, New York Times bestselling author of the Perfect Chemistry series

ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Greeen moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?



Why I Read This:

I need a good contemporary romance every once in a while.


Thoughts:

Every once in a while, I just need to slow down from my normal pace of action-packed dystopian/fantasy or heart-wrenching books and read something a little more light-hearted. I had some extra down time this weekend and decided to pick up Catching Jordan, a book I've wanted to read since last fall. 


Here are some things I really loved about Catching Jordan:
  • The girl is a tomboy who plays football on the guys' team
  • Not only that, she kicks butt at what she does
  • She has to learn some things along the way, like how stubborn and narrow-minded she has been
  • Sam Henry

I really enjoyed the sports aspect of this book. I did find it a bit cliche that the tomboy girl plays with guys on the male team. However, Miranda Kenneally really made this work, taking something I've seen before in countless tv shows and movies as a comedic plot advice (usually, wrestling) and turning it into something that really could happen. 

And Jordan isn't just a tomboy who has to overcome male stereotypes about women and their roles in sports. In fact, most of what she has to overcome is from other girls in her school. The guys on her team really respect her and make her feel a part of the team. In fact, she's so good at football that she's their team captain. I loved that! 

I did feel the romance aspect of the story was a bit weaker. Jordan spends most of her time avoiding any romantic relationship at all and even when she finally gives in and starts dating the guy she likes, they don't actually spend very much time together. So, I didn't really connect to her story with Ty and I didn't really get attached to him at all.

I did love Henry though. His and Jordan's friendship was fun to learn about and fun to watch in the present as well. Of course, I didn't like when he started being a jerk to Jordan but I also thought that the way he was acting made sense.

This book was very fresh and new to me. I like reading contemporary but I've never read something like this. I will definitely be looking out for the second book. The only thing holding me back right now is that I can only take so much "potty mouth" from my main characters (and Jordan swore a lot) and that the book felt complete on it's own so I'm not sure I need to read the sequel immediately.


My Rating:





Disclaimer:


I read a library copy.


1 comment:

  1. I've been reading a lot of library books, too. It turns out, they also have a lot of books in large print, so I feel like an 80 year old, but it's fun. I like it.

    I really want to read this book, I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete