Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Book in Review: The Blemished (Blemished #1) by Sarah Dalton

Cover:




Publisher:

Feed a Read

 
Summary:

A beautiful world comes at a price...

In a world filled with stunning clones Mina Hart is Blemished. Her genes are worthless and that takes away her rights: her right to an Education, her right to a normal life and her right to have a child.

Mina keeps a dangerous secret which she never thought she could share until she meets Angela on her first day at St Jude's School. But their friendship is soon complicated by Angela’s adoptive brother Daniel. Mina finds herself drawn to his mysterious powers and impulsive nature. Then there is the gorgeous clone Sebastian who Mina is forbidden from even speaking to…

The Blemished is a frightening take on a fractured future where the Genetic Enhancement Ministry have taken control of Britain. It will take you on a ride filled with adventure, romance and rebellion.



Why I Read This:


It's dystopian!


Thoughts:

Most of the dystopian books I've read are set somewhere in the United States, so it was nice to finally read one which takes place in another part of the world. The Blemished, set in a town near London, is all about the scary world clones might create for us.


Yes, clones! Sometime in the future the world figures out how to make the perfect human clones. The clones stage a coup on the British government and are now in control. The world is obsessed with beauty and here's the thing - since the clones are the most beautiful people now they think they should be in charge, declaring natural borns genetically imperfect and therefore immoral. 

Sarah Dalton does an amazing job at making this premise work. I mean, just think about it. The book could have turned out so cliche or cheesy, but it's not at all. The world building and descriptions were so vivid I felt like I was really there with Mina, watching her struggle in the fight against the GEMs (the clones).

The characters were all so fun to root for (or against). I especially hated Mrs Murgatroyd, one of Mina's teachers at school and I loved all the girls in Mina's class, especially her very best friend. Even some of the GEMs are worth rooting for too. This world is more complex than it seems!

There's a paranormal mystery to the story too. Mina has telekinetic powers and David has visions. We don't know where these things came from but we do get little clues here and there. The both of them combined certainly make for awesome action scenes, and one very compulsive and naughty moment! 

I took my time reading the book in between others but was surprised to find myself looking for moments where I could get back to it. I'm very much looking forward to the next book. The Blemished was both fun and made me think about how much we value beauty. Where is all this emphasis on beauty leading us to?    
 

My Rating:





Disclaimer:

I received a free e-copy from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.



post signature

2 comments:

  1. The book sounds as fabulous as it looks (seriously the purple cover is FANTASTIC) I love a good Dystopian novel as much as the next blogger but I love how this is one of the few that like you said isn't set in the USA (Seriously there are other countries they can be set it Authors!). I can't wait to get my hands on this one. Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is awesome! Book #2 - The Vanished - looks amazing too. Hope you find yourself a copy!

      Delete