Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book in Review: The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse #1) by Cassandra Rose Clark



Cover:




Publisher:

Strange Chemistry

 
Summary:

Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to an allying pirate clan: she wants to captain her own boat, not serve as second-in-command to her handsome yet clueless fiance. But her escape has dire consequences when she learns the scorned clan has sent an assassin after her.

And when the assassin, Naji, finally catches up with her, things get even worse. Ananna inadvertently triggers a nasty curse — with a life-altering result. Now Ananna and Naji are forced to become uneasy allies as they work together to break the curse and return their lives back to normal. Or at least as normal as the lives of a pirate and an assassin can be.



Why I Read This:

Assassins.

Thoughts:
 
I picked this book up because I really liked the idea of reading about a girl being chased by assassins. The fact that it was set in a fantasy world was also a bonus. I'm really glad I did because it was so entertaining and nothing like I've ever read before.

Annanna is a pirate but she's stuck on land. Having run away from the boy her parents wanted her to marry, into the desert, Annanna has a very grim outlook on where she is and what's in store for her. She doesn't believe the assassin's exist so when her future-husband tells her their family will send one after her she doesn't think twice about leaving. I love that mystery element to the story. Even though everyone has heard of the assassin's, nobody actually believes they exist until they come into contact with one. Annanna complicates things further by saving Naji and getting herself caught up in his own curse - he must stay by her side and protect her from now on. They go on a quest to lift the curse but it's more complicated than either of them imagined.

This is really an adventure book and there are so many things about the fantasy world that we find out along the way. I think my favourite part of the story was the pirate ship because it really let Annanna's personality and background shine through. The fact that Naji was so out of place there was very entertaining as well. 

This book has a lot to offer and was for me a very fast paced and quick read. I liked that much of the story is yet to happen. It gives me something to look forward to in the sequels. Although there wasn't a cliffhanger, there is still much left in the story to happen. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the romance element was pushed way back into the background and is developing at a normal, realistic pace. I didn't think it was too important to the story so I'm happy with where it went in this book.

A great book. It was well written and entertaining. A solid good book to read.

My Rating:





Disclaimer:

I received a free e-copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.


2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one as well. It was so interesting and rich with details, and like you said, I loved how the romance wasn't a big aspect. It made me love the characters and the way they were together even more because we got to see them as individuals getting to know one another, rather than as romantic partners right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly why I wanted this one too. ASSASSINS! Whoo! You're getting me more excited to read my copy!
    ------
    Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada

    ReplyDelete