Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book in Review: The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal



Cover:



Publisher:

Albert Whitman & Company

Summary:

It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with Pilot, the lifeguard with shamanic skills. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.


Why I Read This:

Review Copy Cleanup.


Thoughts:

My reaction to The Lifeguard is simple and so today I don't feel like over-analyzing things. I'll make this nice and simple and short. On the surface I felt like this book had so many things typical of a Y.A. book. Between the divorcing parents, the time away from regular friends and meeting new people, and an aunt that very much cares about her but leaves her to do her own thing. Under the surface of all that I felt the story went much deeper. I very much enjoyed the supernatural twist to it; not over the top like paranormals but more in the realm of the spiritual. There was a lot of character development that sometimes yo-yo-ed and frustrated me, especially when things were so plainfully obvious but she still didn't get, but in the end I was happy where Sirena ended up.  I felt the book had a tone and quality to it that was unique and despite the feeling at first that this would be a typical read for me turned out to be something that pulled me in and sometimes had that a lyrical quality to it I wanted to bathe in (yes, bathe in).

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I received a free e-copy of the book through Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. It's always fun when a story has those hidden layers to it that make it something special, beyond the typical books of its genre. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm I actually thought this was a contemporary. Great review! sometimes we have to concentrate to see the deeper meaning in novels

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! It's hard to explain. There's something paranormal-ish to it, it reads more like a contemporary though.

      Delete