Friday, September 14, 2012

Blog Tour Book Review: Dust (Of Dust and Darkness #1) by Devon Ashley

Today's review is part of the blog tour for Devon Ashley. I will also be posting an excerpt later in the month so watch out for that post too!

Cover:



Publisher:

Devon Ashley (self-published)


Summary:

4. The number of times my delicate wings have been broken and clamped behind my back.
68. The number inked upon my skin, marking me the sixty-eighth pixie to be stolen.
87. The number of days I’ve been wrongfully imprisoned.
88. The first day the faeries will regret stealing me.

Healthy. Cheery. Vivacious. All traits Rosalie has before becoming enslaved by the faeries to make an endless supply of pixie dust. Now that Rosalie has been traumatized by slave labor, extreme desolate conditions and multiple deaths, this hardened pixie is anything but. When this rebellious teenager attempts an escape, she’s isolated in cramped quarters until she learns her place. Just as she begins to let go of all that hope, she finds an unlikely friend in Jack, the faerie assigned to guard her. Interspecies dating is forbidden in the fae world, so their growing attraction is unacceptable. And even if Jack can find a way to free her, they know the prison is the only place they can truly be together.



Why I Read This:

It sounded like a fun read.

Thoughts:

You might not think a book which has as it's plot fairies stealing away pixies and making them work in a slave labour camp could work. Or you might think...Erika, you've got weird tastes in books (my husband's exact words). Well...when you are an avid reader like me there are times that every book starts to sound the same. It's nice to read something like this that I've never seen done before.


Devon Ashley's "Dust" was a sweet little book that had at it's core something very meaningful. The slavery aspect of the story was nicely done and Rosalie's character was a strong one. Instead of becoming hollow inside like every other pixie there she fights for herself, keeping what she knows about herself, refusing to be called #68, and never forgetting how important she could be in stopping this whole thing...if only she can make it past the barrier.


I think my favourite part about Dust was the world of pixies and fae that the author created. The way Rosalie learns about the different hollows and describes not only the pixies but the fae too was very vivid in my mind. For that reason I kind of wished more had happened outside of the slave camp. I kept waiting for Rosalie to escape so I could see more of the world.


There is a love story too and I adored Jack. I was glad that the author waited to introduce him until later in the book and she manages to avoid the whole "instalove" plot which is another point in her favour. My only complaint is that I wanted more outside the slave camp but I guess I'll have to wait until the next book!


Rating:



Disclaimer:

I received a free e-copy from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

Want to read more from the blog tour? Find a list of everyone participating here.

3 comments:

  1. I just bought the e-book version and am quite keen to start reading. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for a most interesting review, on a book that sounds facinating and completely origonal. I hope to have the oportunity of reading this book at some point, but for now it is added to my to-read list. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. for self publish that great book congrats

    ReplyDelete