Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Life, My Books - June




My Life, My Books is a new feature here at One A Day Y.A. where I share everything (Y.A. and) bookish that has been happening in my life in the past month whether that be on the blog, getting new books, watching tv and movies or anything else related to books and literature.

Let's get started!!!

Aside: Finally, I finished this! Apologies that I posted much later in the month than I normally do.  My reading bug hit me, so the good news is this was late, but I have um...a lot of book reviews coming up :)





My favourite read was


Blazing the Trail by Deborah Cooke


A Close Second



I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder


I read and reviewed


Tyler's Mountain Magic by Malcom Ater (4/5)
Winging It (The Dragon Diaries #2) by Deborah Cooke (4/5)
Blazing the Trail (The Dragon Diaries #3) by Deborah Cooke (4/5) (New Release)
Surrender (Possession #2) by Elana Johnson (3/5) (New Release)
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Shroeder (4/5)

 I also reviewed

Getting Somewhere by Beth Neff (4/5)


I read but did not review

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder (3/5)


I also read a children's book which counts towards my Award Winning Reads Challenge - Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (a Newbery Honor book) (4/5) and a short story by young adult author Cynthia Leitich Smith titled Cat Calls (3/5).







Most excited about



The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Favourite Cover




Shadows Cast by Stars by Catherine Knutsson


And here's a list of all the books that came my way this month:

Listed in alphabetical order and linked to Goodreads

The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff (bought)
Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder (library)
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Claire (bought)
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (borrowed)
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder (library)
Miracle by Elizabeth Scott (bought)
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (gifted)
Shadows Cast by Stars by Catherine Knutsson (bought)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (borrowed)







I didn't watch any adaptations this month, unless you count Pillars of the Earth, but that's based off an adult book so I'm not sure if you are interested in hearing me ramble about it.

Instead, I watched a movie to compliment what I was already reading. I saw the movie Elizabeth which came out in 1997 and is about Queen Elizabeth I. Again, an adult movie, but it did help put a face to some of the characters in the book I was reading and I really wanted to know more about Queen Elizabeth's later life while reading Witchstruck by Victoria Lamb. It really helped me understand her life as a whole a lot better since I was already familiar with her younger days but knew so little about when she was actually queen.



I also almost jumped out of my chair in glee when I was at the movies last weekend and a trailer for The Perks of Being a Wallflower came on. I had no idea it was going to be a movie. And Emma Watson is in it too! I'm really excited for this one. 

"We are infinite"



Are you watching a tv show that is based off a book? Don't forget to vote for the book on my Goodreads listopia list: Books that are also tv shows






I had some great authors on this month including

(author of The Dragon Diaries)

and 



(author of the Possession series)

I also participated in the Rhiannon Paille Ultimate Fan Contest Giveaway

Also, I posted about Kevin McGill's HUGE 1000 copy giveaway for his book.








This month I met with Sarah from Workaday Reads at one of our local parks. Our little kiddies played together and we had great fun getting to know each other a little more and chatting about books. It was actually the first time I met another blogger in real life so it was a great experience. Sarah went to BEA and picked me up an advanced copy of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. For me! I'm so excited! I just have to finish up The Wolves of Mercy Falls series and then I'm going to be all over that one :) She also let me borrow a few of the other books she brought home with her and gave me her previously-read ARC of The Chaperone which is an adult new release. Thank you Sarah!


I hope everyone had a lovely month!

Remember to leave a comment about your own month in books. 

I'd love to hear from you :)

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you two were able to meet up... we will have to arrange something sometime!

    I'm definitely excited for Perks, but I will need to re-read the book because it's been FOREVER since I read it (I actually read it for the first time in high school!).

    ReplyDelete