Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen


Cover:



Publisher:

Scholastic

Summary:

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.




Why I Read This:


Seemed like something I would enjoy.


Thoughts:


I fell in love with The False Prince, and I fell hard! After finishing this book I wanted to take it to the altar and marry it, that's how much I loved it. So I will have a hard time writing this without gushing over it, but I will give it a try.



From the first page I got sucked in. I mean, how could the line "I've never attempted roast thievery before, and I was already regretting it." not make me want to read on and find out a) who this character is and b) what was going to happen next. And then it was pretty much like that for the entire book. Every page I read made me want to read more and there was no natural place to stop reading because I felt like I would miss something if I did.


The characters were awesome. Between Sage, the other two orphans Roden and Tobias, Conner, Mott, Cregan, and...everyone else...I just wanted to sit down with every single one of them and hear their stories. The fact that the author gave me just that (without actually going into fictionland) made me all tingly, like a good comfort food feast. 


Jennifer A. Nielsen was brilliant. She gave me everything I desired from this book. Every. Single. Thing. I finished it days ago and my head is still spinning from all the things that happened, the characters, and the world created. Highly, highly, highly recommended! Probably my favourite book this year.

My Rating:






Disclaimer:


I borrowed my copy. Thank you Sarah!




1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this sounds good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete