Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book in Review: Temptation (Temptation #1) by Karen Ann Hopkins


Cover:




Publisher:

Harlequin Teen


Summary:

Your heart misleads you.  That's what my friends and family say.  But I love Noah. And he loves me.  We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be  ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.



Why I Read This:

Amish boy meets city girl, both fall in love. Need I say more?

Thoughts:

Temptation was published last month, at the end of June, and I was really excited to get my hands on a copy. It had been on my radar for a while now. I mean, how could I not want to read this, it has two of my favourite plot devices in stories - forbidden love and culture clash. On top of that, although few and far between reads, I have never been let down by a story invloving the Amish community.

I had absolutely no trouble getting into the book. In fact, the first 200 or so pages seemed to fly by. I loved the format of the switching view points. It was so fun reading both Rose and Noah's thoughts. Especially when you think you know what they were thinking based on the one character's presumptions, and then having switched view points, you find out that something entirely different was going on.

Temptation was a very cute story. It had conflict and drama, but it also had cutesy first time love. It was lust at first sight and as a reader I was worried that the story would develop into something superficial, but their lust for each other was able to grow into a realistic love through experience and understanding, and I really appreciated that about the romantic aspect.

I did have big, huge problems with the ending though. I didn't feel the ending was realistic at all. In order for them to be together, either Rose or Noah would have had to give up the only culture they knew. I didn't like how this was handled at all. Noah wont even consider it and neither of their parents will either. But somehow having a huge accident where (possibly spoilery) he almost dies rescuing Rose...well, then it's okay?!

Because of the ending I wasn't sure how I felt about Tempation as a whole but I can say that I liked it and that I'm glad I read it. Both Rose and Noah were awesome and I'm happy I got to know them through this story. It was fast paced and a great way to spend a day or two this summer, despite the problems I had with the last bit of it.



My Rating:




Disclaimer:

I received a free e-copy of the book (Netgalley) from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...I'm a little on the fence about this one. I've read mixed reviews, but it sounds really interesting. I think you're pretty spot on about the ending though if that's how the book ends. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's hard to tell if I should read something or not with mixed reviews. well, if you do end up reading it I'd love to know what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. I've definitely heard mixed things about 'Temptation'... certain aspects sound amazing, but the crazy drama at the end (and people's reactions to it) have turned me off this one.

    ReplyDelete