Monday, May 14, 2012

Book in Review: Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth


Cover:


Publisher:

HarperTeen

Summary:

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.



Why I Read This:

Divergent was my favourite book last year. I had to pick up the sequel!


Thoughts:

Well...it wasn't as good as Divergent. That doesn't mean I'm not still in love with the world created by Veronica Roth. And Tris and Four (or are we calling him Tobias now?) are still some of my favourite characters. I did feel like a little bit of that awe and wonder I felt while reading the first book was lost on me here though.



But rather than focus on what I didn't like, I will keep that short and then go on to say what I did love about it. My biggest problems with Insurgent was that there was too much repetition. What I mean is the same things just kept happening over and over again. The second thing was that Tris was so depressed. I missed the old Tris. I understood her character and grief made more sense here, but I definitely wanted to see more of that strength from the first book.



What I did love:


Candor! My favourite faction and we finally get to see so much more of it in Insurgent. The truth serum scene - probably my favourite scene in the entire book.

We get to see a lot more of Erudite and Amity as well and the observations about these factions that Tris kept making, pointing out both the flaws and positives of each were some of my favourite scenes. Since we also get to see more of the factions it's easier to see where they all differ and where there are similarities. I found the whole thing fascinating.


The big secret. Yes, we know from book one that there is some kind of secret about the outside world. It's a dystopian after all, and the fact that the city is walled and no one is allowed outside the gates just tips us off that something must be going on there. In Insurgent we may not find out exactly what that is, but just the fact that Tris is starting to understand that there is more to this. It's awesome and it makes me more excited for the third book, where I hope more of the secret is revealed.


Character growth. There are books that focus on action and plot. There are books that focus on character. And then there are those like Insurgent that do both equally well. Tris may have been depressed for a large chunk of the story but the more she goes through on her journey, the more she understands about herself and grows from those experiences. I felt that was true not just of Tris but of others as well. Her friends, her enemies, her allies. Veronica Roth doesn't seem to do stagnant characters and I think that's one of the things that set her books apart from so many others like it.


My opinion - a great follow up. I didn't enjoy it as much as Divergent. On the other hand, what's to come can change everything!



My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.


3 comments:

  1. This book is sitting on top of my pile staring at me. Only a few more books and I can read it. :) I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {if i'm commenting i'm a follower}

    I am interested in reading these books in the future. Thanks for sharing your review.

    {http://www.justonemorechapter.net}

    ReplyDelete