Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Book in Review: First Day on Earth by Cecil Castelucci


Cover:




Publisher:

Scholastic Press

Summary:

A startling, wonderful novel about the true meaning of being an alien in an equally alien world.

"We are specks. Pieces of dust in this universe. Big nothings.

"I know what I am."

Mal lives on the fringes of high school. Angry. Misunderstood. Yet loving the world -- or, at least, an idea of the world.

Then he meets Hooper. Who says he's from another planet. And may be going home very soon.


Why I Read This:

It had stars on the cover. Yep, that's why! Okay, also the summary drew me in. But mostly it was the cover.
Thoughts:

You know, I love a good book that can be sweet and charming without actually being written that way. Books that when you get right down to it are actually really dark and depressing yet still make you go "aww" and connect to the characters in such a way that gives you that fuzzy feeling inside. This is one of those books.

Mal is such a sad and depressing character. He's been hurt so many times and feels like a huge outsider. High school isn't an easy place for him and the fact that no one believes he's been abducted by aliens just makes things worse. He can't talk about it to anyone and I could just tell how lonely he was. When Mal finds a support group for abductees it was just a huge hooray moment for me. Then he discovers a lot of those people are probably just faking it to have a little fun or watch the freaks. So watching his newfound friendship with Hooper who believes he actually is an alien was even more satisfying. 

It was a short book but in this case it made an impact. I wish I could have more of Mal and Hooper and just wish the whole thing was a series so I could see what happens next.  My only concern was that the ending seemed a bit rushed. It was the only part of the story that I wish was more developed. Other than that I really liked it and think it would make a great read for anyone who likes light science fiction stories.


My Rating:




Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.


1 comment: