Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book in Review: Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott


Cover:



Publisher:

Harper Teen

Summary:

My name is Danielle. I'm eighteen. I've been stealing things for as long as I can remember.

Dani has been trained as a thief by the best--her mother. Together, they move from town to town, targeting wealthy homes and making a living by stealing antique silver. They never stay in one place long enough to make real connections, real friends--a real life

In the beach town of Heaven, though, everything changes. For the first time, Dani starts to feel at home. She's making friends and has even met a guy. But these people can never know the real Dani--because of who she is. When it turns out that her new friend lives in the house they've targeted for their next job and the cute guy is a cop, Dani must question where her loyalties lie: with the life she's always known--or the one she's always wanted.


Why I Read This:

Somebody recommend Elizabeth Scott's lighter novels to me after reading Grace last year.

My thoughts:

Since last fall, I've had the pleasure of reading three novels by Elizabeth Scott. The first was Grace, the second Stealing Heaven, and the third Living Dead Girl (review pending). Of the three novels, Stealing Heaven was my favourite.

This book had one thing going for it that is often lacking in my reading experience - it made me happy and all smiley-like. It isn't a book that is filled to the brim with happiness, but even when things were down, the tone that the writing and characters took still made me feel cheery. Don't misconstrue that as me saying this is a light and fluffy book. It is not. There is sadness, sickness, and loneliness in these pages. But there is also quirkiness, relief, and a feeling of flight about it. You know what? I like complex books like this. A lot.

And there is romance. Oh boy, I loved the romance in this one. Talk about star-crossed lovers!

If you like sweet contemporaries this is the book for you. If you like characters who are put in complex situations and have to dig their way out, definitely for you too. This is the book that will have me tracking down Elizabeth Scott novels much more frequently from now on!  

My rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to look for this one. I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Scott but I do love contemporary novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a copy of Stealing Heaven to try out :) She is definitely worth reading. Her books feel to me like comfort food.

      Delete